Monday, March 22, 2010

How Touch Makes Other Appear As Oneself

Hi, I have added a new class I'll be teaching Wednesday at Rich Experience in NW Tucson, see more and register through www.arichexperience.com .
 
This class explores how touch actually gives the toucher and the touched person the sense that I am you, you are me.
 
Even if you can't attend on Wednesday, Dr. Ramachandran has posted his new findings on mirror neurons as a short video that you may find as fascinating as I did. The video is 7 mins 44 seconds and he begins talking about touch mirror neurons at 4:40 but you'll want to watch the whole thing at http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/vs_ramachandran_the_neurons_that_shaped_civilization.html
 
 
About Wednesday's class:
 
I have long wondered if, when I am massaging someone and they are slumbering, something very interesting is happening. As my brain says, relax, their muscles relax. It works as if the nerves that tell his muscle what to do, are now connected with my brain. My brain says relax and his muscles relax.
 
No longer something to wonder. Science has suddenly discovered "mirror neurons" which feel what others feel. These neurons are in the front of the brain. 
 
In Wednesday's class we will repeat an experiment published by brain researcher V.S. Ramachandran. We will use a fake, plastic hand and a cardboard screen to block your view of your shoulder so that the hand looks like your own. Then a partner will stroke the impostor hand. You may feel sensations as the hand is stroked. We will do another experiment and discuss our findings in relation to massage therapy.  
 

No comments: