Reiki is a way to influence the human body for greater health and balance. It was rediscovered in the 19th century in Japan by Mikao Usui. He scoured buddhist books to find healing methods and was inspired or led to certain combinations, like math equations, that have particular effects for power healing, mental and emotional healing, and healing across past, present and future. Usui opened a clinic and healed many people in Japan, especially after natural disasters like fires and earthquakes. He taught these healing combinations to students in Japan who later brought an Americanized version to Hawaii, then the States.
Reiki today is offered as a service at spas, resorts and clinics, and by individuals especially massage therapists. Sessions are generally offered on a massage table. Reiki is also given by volunteers at hospitals and other medical centers. Reiki trainings are also given for people to become Reiki practitioners and teachers. You do not need to be a licensed professional to learn Reiki and become a practitioner or teacher.
What Does Reiki Do?
Reiki influences health and wellness on multiple levels.
In the macro level Reiki can influence the person's life to move more smoothly in directions that will unravel his or her purpose or destiny and unlock the person's hidden talents capacities and qualities, both of which contribute greatly to life fulfillment and improved relationships.
In the micro level Reiki can influence the cells that make up injuries, pains, aches, problems with function, maladies and dis-ease. Not only the cells, but at the molecular level, the subatomic level and many levels more fundamental until the most basic elemental essential levels. When change occurs here, naturally the things made of this stuff will be different.
Reiki can also be used for healing animals and empowering goals like getting fit again or creating financial abundance.
How does Reiki do all this?
Reiki is a spiritual approach to healing that incorporates compassion. Compassion in buddhism is one of the Six Perfections, which Mikao Usui was exposed to as a Japanese Buddhist. However, any person from any tradition or no tradition, who is willing to be unconditionally compassionate, patient, present, nonjudgmental, vulnerable, curious and non-self-important will activate healing energy equal to, or exceeding the technique of Reiki. What I am saying is, where you are coming from matters more than technique or belief system. I repeat, it is less the technique handed down by the Japanese person Mikao Usui that gives the greatest healing influence, and more the qualities, especially compassion, where the person is coming from, that gives true power to healing. As the giver resonates in his compassion, nonjudgment or other qualities, approaching the unconditional intensity, the recipient also resonates like sympathetic vibration resonates a wine glass with sound. When the recipient is also resonating in unconditional compassion, there is no way for the malady to keep hold because the malady is rooted in unnatural reactions, and the soil has been changed so that only natural responses may take root.
How Do I Receive Reiki?
You can receive Reiki sessions from a Reiki practitioner. This is usually done on a massage table with the recipient fully clothed. About half of Reiki sessions are done with the practitioner's hands hovering inches above the body. About half of sessions are done with the practitioner's hands resting gently on the recipient's body. The hands are not moving, only resting as lightly as a butterfly resting on a flower. The recipient can usually feel heat coming from the Reiki practitioner's hands, even if the hands are hovering many inches above the body. I ask your preference, whether you'd like my hands on your body or above, when I offer Reiki at my office. Usually the recipient begins to feel calm, restful and optimistic though it is rare for the recipient to fall asleep, she may go into a trance or dream state.
How much of the effect of Reiki is due to Hypnotic Suggestion?
Probably some of the effect is due to the expectation and other factors that suggest the person will heal and feel rejuvenated. This is also true of massage therapy, physical therapy, medication, surgery, doctor visits, shamanism, tent revival healings and other efforts to heal. My guess is that hypnotic suggestion and trance are no greater an influence from Reiki than from massage or any other treatment you might receive while lying horizontal with the practitioner standing over. I am not against people healing due to their expectation of healing. If some of their benefit is due to a placebo or hypnosis effect, I am not against that occurring.
I personally would not feel comfortable offering a service that I believed the entire effect was due to hypnotic suggestion, unless I were a hypnotherapist and the person was duly informed with consent that what we were doing was hypnotherapy. I only offer services that I have certainty have influence in ways other than hypnotic suggestion or placebo effect.
Many people arrive with negative expectations, doubts, skepticism and beliefs that bad things will always happen to them. I personally have struggled with all of these. In these cases, there is still placebo effect and hypnotic effect, though the effect is working against the person's benefit. That is, Reiki or other methods are really helping the person, but his own beliefs and expectations undo the effect later. He may be healed to some degree, and then he un-heals himself later because he believes bad things will always happen or disbelieves that healing may occur. I have experienced this a great deal in my own life. I just wanted to share this so you will understand that placebo and hypnotic suggestion work both to enhance Reiki in those whose thoughts are favorable to the results, and to undermine the support of Reiki in those whose thoughts are unfavorable to the results. This is also true when people go to physical therapy, take medication and get surgeries, radiation, chemo and other medical treatments. The treatments may be working great, but the person's thoughts undermine the healing. If you wonder if you are having thoughts that undermine your healing, quality of life or fulfillment, do mention this to your Reiki practitioner who can actually do Reiki on your thoughts, if you'd like them to change. If you'd like to talk with someone about your thoughts, you may choose life coaching, counseling, psychotherapy or psychoanalysis.
Can I Give Reiki to Myself?
Reiki is a specific combination, like a math equation. For a while the combination was kept secret but by now if you are persistent you can find the equation on the internet. Still, knowing the symbols and so forth does not actually give you the capacity to do Reiki. The combination must be given into your chakras and cells in a particular way called an attunement. You can only receive an attunement from a person who has been attuned in a certain way as a giver of attunements, a Reiki Master Teacher. When you have received the Reiki Level One attunement from a Reiki Master Teacher, then yes, you can give Reiki to yourself. The level one attunement is usually given in a one-day workshop for around $150.00. People who simply want to give Reiki to themselves often stop at level one because this is all you need in order to give yourself Reiki treatments. If you like to receive Reiki treatments and are paying around $60.00 or more per treatment, it may be cost-effective for you to become a Level One practitioner because it would pay for itself by the time you have given yourself three hours of Reiki.
Furthermore, receiving the Reiki Level One attunement has more healing effect for you than three Reiki sessions. The effect of the attunement is more permanent, you could say, or maybe timeless would be a better word.
After your Level One attunement you become a Level One Reiki Practitioner. Many Level One practitioners never give Reiki to others but only take this step in order to give Reiki to themselves. That is fine but I like to support Reiki Practitioners in their taking the step of giving Reiki to others, either as a volunteer or professionally. I offer coaching to assist Reiki Practitioners to begin giving Reiki to others they don't know, because I feel strongly this helps the world in many ways.
When Can I Give Reiki to Others?
Besides the ability to give Reiki to yourself, the Level One Reiki Practitioner Attunement has other benefits:
- You can give Reiki hands-on-body to others using the 12-position recipe.
- You can give Reiki to pets, houseplants, friends and family, or professionally under certain circumstances.
- You can empower your goals.
- You can influence machines and electronics.
- The Reiki Attunement you receive, has healing effects greater than the effect of a Reiki session. It penetrates you to a deeper level of self.
- A stronger connection with Reiki at your molecular level.
- The capacity to send Reiki to others who are at a distance, like a family member who lives in another city.
- The capacity to send Reiki into the past, to heal things that were caused long ago.
- The capacity to send Reiki into the future, to make ready the way to a future effect you'd like to come about.
- Methods and capacities to tailor your Reiki treatments for mental/emotional healing.
After your Level Two attunement you become a Level Two Reiki Practitioner.
When Can I Teach Reiki to Others?
Once you have received your Reiki Level Three attunement, you may begin giving attunements to others. A person who has received his Level Three attunement is called a Reiki Master. On the day you give your first attunements to a class of Reiki practitioners, you become a Reiki Master Teacher.
Many Reiki Masters do not go on to teach, which I think is unfortunate. I think this is because the training process for Reiki gives only the technique, but does not provide enough confidence to get up in front of others and teach. I like to assist Reiki Masters to take the next step to teach, and I offer coaching for this important step, that helps the world immensely. Also if you are already a Reiki Master who would like to teach, you may attend my two-day Reiki Master/Teacher workshop, which is more comprehensive on the teaching side, since I have a lot of teaching experience. I provide all my Reiki Masters with ongoing, lifelong support in their beginning to teach and in teaching well.
To teach Reiki effectively I would like to see you bring:
- A commitment to serving others, as a lifestyle choice.
- A willingness to persevere in order to become the healer and/or teacher that you are capable of being, with my support.
- A willingness to experiment on your own with seven things: unconditional compassion, nonjudgment, non-self-importance, vulnerability, patience, presence and curiosity. To activate these things in yourself at least during your Reiki sessions and while you are teaching Reiki.
You don't have to master these things or be perfect. That wouldn't serve the recipients or students anyway, if you were perfect or masterly, because it would only intimidate them. I only ask you bring the willingness to develop and grow, to practice responding more than reacting.
What are other benefits of the Reiki Level Three attunement?
Receiving the Level Three, Reiki Master attunement brings these additional benefits.
- Deepening intuition --not exactly medical intuition but holistic, about what is going on for others, what has caused their situation or what would help them embrace it.
- A strong connection with one's destiny and true purpose in life. You will get greater clarity about why you were put on this Earth and far greater support in making your purpose come alive. This is true about other purposes you are here, besides the purpose of healing or teaching Reiki.
- A strong connection with your essence which has no limits. The influence your essence is capable of may seem supernatural but truly is only natural, your natural identity. Each person is born with his or her own unique essence but our connection with it becomes diminished by the way we are parented, our culture and school learning. The Reiki Level Three attunement reconnects you with your essence, which is your birthright.
What Qualifies Patrick Moore to be a Reiki Practitioner or Reiki Teacher?
- From childhood a lifelong desire to be of substantial service to others.
- Experience as a teacher first as a math teacher as far back as the '70s, then as a teacher to more than a thousand massage therapists since 1996.
- Students frequently say I have a gift explaining things.
- Learned the hard way--through many trials with maladies, traumas, setbacks, struggles, mistakes, bad choices and making each of these things better for having happened so they become strengths far greater than the harm they did.
- Trained with excellent teachers especially retired counselor (1970-2000), hypnotherapist and lifecoach, my Reiki Teacher Stephen Bruno. I continue to receive mentoring and supervision from Stephen for any and all challenges I face as a teacher, practitioner and mentor/lifecoach.
Would you like to subscribe to my newsletters about upcoming workshops including Reiki?
If you are a massage therapist and wish to get CE hours for your Reiki training, you may sign up for my CE email newsletter, the Natural Healer News here.
If you are not a therapist and are interested in Reiki and other creativity, personal discovery and spiritual development workshops, you may sign up for my email newsletter, Natural Essence Workshops here.
Both newsletters include unique information, photos and dates of workshops. You may sign up for both if the topics interest you.
All photos in this post are by Patrick Moore and copyrighted. Do not share without permission.