Wednesday, May 25, 2022

2022 Services with Patrick Moore LMT

I'm glad you found me!

Here is an overview of what I offer at this time:

  • Bodywork sessions. You remain clothed. I ask your concerns and keep a dialogue with you about how it feels, what is working. Can you feel this muscle melting? I can, I just wondered if you can feel that. We're about halfway done, is this what you want to keep doing, or do you have another idea? I have a lot of experience. Your muscles will relax. I can explain to you how your muscles got tight in the first place, if you are curious. 
  • Around 50 one-day CE workshops for Licensed Massage Therapists to maintain their licenses. See calendar and descriptions.
  • People who are not LMTs may still attend many of my bodywork workshops.
  • Usui Reiki certification classes, now including empowerments. 
  • Mentoring / Supervision for body therapists who have questions, concerns, or would like to take their healing capacities to the next level. 
  • Individual talks. Including your concerns or questions about the body, the subconscious that maintains muscle guarding and tension. Embracing your past. Also your future. Either way, 7 things dramatically affect us: patience, presence, vulnerability, curiosity, judgment, self-importance and unconditional compassion. Talks can be walking, over coffee, phone or video platform. 
My wife, writer Traci Moore, and I like to go for
walks in nature. I love identifying wild foods,
nibbling off the bushes,
and foraging for photos. 

Short Bio including Therapeutic Approach

When I was young my dad noticed I had strong skills in math and science. He told me I would become a scientist and he gave me articles he was reading. I was curious and browsed the encyclopedia including the entry on Einstein's Relativity.

In 1979 I was asked to be a peer-tutor for other people in my High School who were at risk of failing math, which I did for two years. Later I taught math for 4th-8th graders, college business majors, and adults going back for their G.E.D. Currently I teach part-time for the community college. My students quickly learn that I do not teach from a place of mastery. I put myself into the perspective of the person who does-not-yet-know. I ask them how they understand it, and from their understanding, I find a new path to understanding. I teach them to get there by their path, not mine. Students thank me and wonder why nobody ever explained it so simply to them before. 

I worked as a laborer on large construction projects in Seattle for a decade, until supervisors encouraged me to challenge the Carpenter Journeyman test. I began doing layout including operating a theodolite transit. But construction didn't feel like me. 

Around 1990 I became a member of Sakya Monastery for Tibetan Buddhism where I received empowerments including Medicine Buddha from Jigdal Dagchen Sakya, Green Tara from Dagmola Sakya and Chenrezi (Avalokiteshvara) from H.H. Tenzin Gyatso who visited Seattle in the spring of 1993. I studied Tong-Len, Equalizing Self and Other and Exchanging Self and Other from the Bodicarya-avatara by Shantideva. My construction bosses were puzzled when I requested days off to attend empowerments.  

Around 1991 I observed physical therapist Randy Nakasone working on my first wife. He was using Osteopathic Techniques. I told him I wanted to learn what he did. He encouraged me and I left to become a massage therapist beginning my training in 1992. While still in school I began attending CE to learn Osteopathic Techniques including Strain Counterstrain, MET, PNF and Craniosacral. I graduated from the strong-anatomy-foundation, Brian Utting program, in 1994. I was a preferred provider of medical massage for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, the Department of L&I for on-job injuries, and car insurance for accidents, for the remainder of my years in Washington State. I was also learning energy healing from Stephen Bruno whom I worked with at the same clinic. Stephen suggested I jog daily for an hour, or every other day for longer, which I have been doing since 1996. 

Those are some of the highlights, you would expect a therapist to share. What about the other stuff?


In 1971 I was in the San Fernando Earthquake in California, when my parents rushed us out to the running car, fearing our home would be flooded from a breaking dam. Both parents were daily drinkers who taught us to mix and serve their drinks. I began using drugs and alcohol at age 13. In the 1970s and 80s I happened to have about twenty head injuries with motorcycles, football and other events. I grew more cynical, rude and depressed with angry outbursts, including behaviors I still regret. After a DUI in 1999 I quit drugs and alcohol. Even in the new millennium I had no idea that events earlier in my life might have contributed to my struggles. I got these insights not from my own powers of observation, but with guidance from people in the healing arts. By now, even if I could go back in time and erase the head injuries and traumas, I would not erase them. Because in embracing these (to the degree I have so far), I have only gained more understanding, insight and abilities to understand, empathize with and help others.  

For example, my neck was always a problem for me after my time with motorcycles. In massage school I found I was especially diligent in memorizing the origins and actions of the suboccipital muscles. The other students just called them the suboccipitals. The tests only checked we knew the group of four muscles crossing two joints and three bones. I wanted to know what each of the suboccipitals did. I purchased a partial skeleton and moved the atlas on the axis, until I understood how every facet opened and closed and which muscles primarily rotate the atlas upon the axis. While I was in craniosacral classes, I then extrapolated the slow-motion approach to what I had learned about the atlanto-axial joint. I published two articles at this time, the second one in Massage Therapy Journal, just about the AA joint. I began teaching Melting the Atlanto-Axial joint in 2002, and later Unwinding the Atlanto-Axial joint, still not realizing my own injuries must have played a large part in my diligence. I was like an evangelist of the atlanto-axial joint! I don't know who else is teaching what I teach, for this joint.  Last Sunday I saw someone for vertigo who felt the issue was in her ear canals and was waiting for a doctor appointment to treat that. I helped her muscles relax at the atlas and axis, and I stopped the session at thirty minutes, feeling it was enough. I saw her again yesterday and she reported her vertigo had been reduced right after the session and that relief had lasted. I don't know any other therapist who has methods resembling what I do for the AA joint. Who would go to this much trouble? . . Unless they had experienced the persistent, annoying tension themselves? It is very unlikely I would have been able to help her and the others, and teach what I do, except for the motorcycle and other injuries I had. The same pattern holds true for the trauma and addiction.  

What I just explained is part of the foundation I come from to help people. You have pains, aches, challenges, injuries, annoyances, irritations, unwanted this and that. Rather than erase or roll-back your challenges, I would like to help you embrace them, until you agree they are better for having happened that way.        
 


No comments: